Association of Medical Physicists IN Alberta
What is a Medical Physicist?
A Medical Physicist is a health care professional with specialized training in the medical applications of physics. Their work often involves the use of x-rays, ultrasound, magnetic and electric fields, infra-red and ultraviolet light, heat and lasers in diagnosis and therapy. Most medical physicists work in cancer treatment facilities, diagnostic imaging departments, or hospital-based research establishments. Others work in universities, government, and industry.
What are the objectives of AMPA?
* To protect the Alberta public by identifying competent persons who are responsible for applications of the physical sciences in the medical field (medical physicists);
* To represent the interests of medical physicists practising within Alberta;
* To promote within Alberta the recognition of the importance of certification by the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine (CCPM) and to encourage eligible society members to become Members or Fellows of CCPM;
* To promote and encourage the development of scientific knowledge towards the applications of physics to medicine;
* To further the exchange and publication of scientific and technical information relating to the science and practice of medical physics;
* To promote educational opportunities in those disciplines which support the science and practice of medical physics;
* To assist in the development and protection of professional standards in the discipline of medical physics;
* To link to the activities of other societies, associations or organizations, whether provincial, national or international, having objectives relevant to the foregoing.